SensiblePM 013 | Risk Management with Carl Pritchard
“The Risk Guy”, Carl Pritchard, takes us on a fun journey in a very practical discussion about Risk Management. He talks about the importance of having a good risk plan for your projects. We also learn both about the governance aspect of risk management as well as how to manage the risks themselves. Mark held this discussion with Carl in the Sensible Project Manager Hangout Community on #PMHangout29 using Google+ Hangouts and if you wish you can watch the video or listen via the podcast feed below.
Listen to the Podcast
Risk Management concepts that were covered during discussion.
- There are two elements in risk management.
- Know where you want to be.
- Know where you want to go.
- Know what you are afraid of.
- Managing Project Risk
- What are the things that might happen to us that we hadn’t planned on?
- What do we do about them?
- What risks should we be worried about?
- It is important to create a risk brand.
- Risk Management Plan
- Define the project terminology for the project.
- Define tolerances for the project.
- Identify Risk for the projects.
- Don’t use traditional brainstorming when identifying risks.
- Make sure you involve all of the stakeholders when developing your risks.
- The Crawford Slip method of handing out post-it notes and everyone produces one risk every minute is a great method of identifying risks.
- The nominal group method by having stakeholders write a list of risks is another good way to identify risks.
- Provide a format for the stakeholders when they are writing their risks which includes the cause and effect.
- Qualify the risks to identify the levels in which each risk occurs.
- Identify the risk strategies for each risk.
- The following are the strategies that can be invoked when working with risks:
- Accept the risk.
- Mitigate the risk.
- Minimize the probability that the risk is going to happen.
- Minimize the impact if the risk happens.
- Transfer the risk.
- Avoid the risk.
- Monitor and control the risks.
- Record and measure the risks.
Resources and Links that will help you learn more about each framework:
Books Carl Pritchard Authored
Contacting Carl Pritchard
You can find Carl’s website at Pritchard Management Associates
You can email Carl at firstname.lastname@example.org
Question? Leave me a voice-mail
If you have a question about anything that was discussed in this episode you can ask the question right now using voice-mail. Just select the “Send Voice-mail” button on the right side of the screen.
Also, I would love to hear your thoughts about future topics for the podcast or any other way I can help you in your Project Management career. Just leave me a voice-mail and I may feature your question or comment in a future episode.
Now that you have heard Carl share his thoughts about Risk Management, share in the comments below a specific example where having a good Risk Management Plan helped you on your project.
To Subscribe to the Podcast
Click Here to Subscribe to via iTunes
I would love it if you could leave me an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. Your review will help the show and its ranking in iTunes. Thank you!