“Project Management Challenge” was the topic of the 27th hangout of the Sensible Project Manager Hangout Community. In this community of project managers and others who enjoy discussing project manager topics, we have a weekly hangout which is hosted via Google+ Hangout. These hangouts are held each Friday at 9:00am pacific time.
In this hangout, Mark Phillipy gave a panel of five project management thought leaders a project management challenge. The panelists addressed the challenge based on their favorite project management methodology/framework. The following are the panelists and the challenge:
- Simon Buehring
Agile / Scrum
- Alan Dayley
- David Hammerslag, PhD
- Elaine Jackson, PMP
- Matthew Davis, PMP, MCITP
Project Management Challenge
You are a Project Management Consultant and a company has engaged you to help them successfully deliver a mission critical initiative their client who is a municipality in their region. Your challenge is to describe how you would approach the project to meet the challenges and help the company deliver a successful project using your preferred project management methodology. These are the key points and challenges for this project:
- The project is to implement a solution which would replace the city’s public transportation scheduling system
- The city has chosen to not go with an out of the box solution because they have not been able to find an existing solution that fits their needs which includes scheduling for bus, subway, ferry, and van pools.
- Your client will be developing the solution from ground up.
- The system will have to integrate with both the existing fair system and the city’s accounting system.
- Your client is an accomplished software development company which have used multiple project management and development methodologies (you can assume they are versed with your favorite methodology)
- The city has the usual constraints of budgets, time frames, etc.
Share your thoughts
Please share your thoughts in the comments below on how you would approach this challenge using your favorite PM methodology/framework.