SPM 029 | Project Communications with Elizabeth Harrin
Good communication skills are critical for any successful project manager. Aspiring Project Manager, Jared Coffin, wants to improve his communication skills and receives excellent guidance from Elizabeth Harrin.
During the Podcast
During this episode Jared, had several questions about project communications. Elizabeth Harrin, from A Girls Guild to Project Management and myself answered his questions.
Questions about Project Communication
The components of step three are:
- How do I balance the time I communicate with the Project Team and the other Stakeholders?
- How do you communicate with stakeholders regarding the management of project scope?
- What type of meetings should a project manager hold, and how often?
- What are the preferred methods of communications?
- What is the best way to ask help from others outside of the project?
During our discussion, we learned about the importance of developing a communications plan. During the planning stages of a project, a communication plan should be developed to identify who, what, and when information is communicated to stakeholders.
Also, during the planning phase of a project the project manager should perform a stakeholder analysis. This will allow the PM to develop a valid communications plan.
Elizabeth suggested using a wiki, which is a website that provides a method of sharing information in a collaborative way.
Resources Mentioned this Session
Elizabeth Harrin’s Blog: A Girls Guild to Project Management
Elizabeth Harrin’s Books:
- Shortcuts to Success: Project Management in the Real World
- Customer-Centric Project Management (Advances in Project Management)
- Social Media for Project Managers
To Subscribe to the Podcast
Click Here to Subscribe to via iTunes
I would love it if you could leave me an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. Your review will help the show and its ranking in iTunes. Thank you!
Subscribe to the “Free Aspiring Project Manager Course”
I am currently in the process of building a free course for those who are interested in learning about project management. If you are interested in this course, sign up below and I will let you know when it is available.